There will only be sign-ups online before the convention begins to help expedite the process of tryouts. Online forms submitted after the posted date will not be accepted. To sign up, use the button at the top of this page to go to the form.
The general format of the competition will be as follows:
- Competitors will dance at both the tryouts and the main event in their chosen fursuit. They must use the same costume and parts for both events. A more detailed list of what is accepted as a “fursuit” and additional parts/props can be found in the costume guidelines further below.
- Competitors will dance to their chosen song or mix that they provide – we do not provide music. The song file must not be longer than 2:00 in length, no larger than 200 MB file size, and be submitted to us in a standard format such as MP3, WAV, WMA, or OGG. Competitors will be able to submit their music online (an email will be sent out to all applicants before the convention), or bring their music to the preliminaries panel.
- For the tryouts, competitors will only dance to the first minute of their performance. We encourage competitors to plan their routine accordingly so that there is a good amount of content to judge in the first minute.
As a reference, here are some of the things that judges may be looking for:
- Originality: Unique and/or interesting techniques, avoiding repetition with similar-looking moves
- Musicality: Dance matches with the tempo and compliments the storytelling of the music
- Execution: Clean moves with no errors, movements work together
- Character: Adds personality and character to movements, brings life to the dance
At the end of the competition, the judges will tally up the points and announce the top performers, along with any honourable mentions.